Bruce from Tasmania had a good idea what he wanted but like most of us had no way to prove the look or layout without actually building. We used common lines from a river launch and started from there.

The length and maximum beam were critical to the intended steam engine so these were first.

From here the sheer line was established in keeping with the river launch “look”. The plans went back and forth between myself and Bruce until until we were both happy.  Bruce knew what timber he had available so the frames and spacing were quickly set up.

Once the finished 3D model was complete on computer we added the all important “skin” on to the frames to look for high or low spots. This is an invaluable tool within a 3D drawing package to visually show you any errors. At this point the frame dimensions were “massaged” to provide a perfect hull, symmetrical and fault free.

From here the finishing details such as clamps, keel etc were tweaked to provide the easiest form of assembly. Bruce wanted full stations (cut out of particle board) to form the hull for the frames to reference from.

The all important base line now needed to be reversed! Bruce was clever enough to talk me into developing his base line from the roof down… this gave him the freedom to lock in the stations at ground level and use an overhead reference line to locate the sheer point for each station. This was well thought out by Bruce as it freed the ground area for working, minimized  the awkwardness of taking measurements from ground level and allowed him the ability to rely on a reference line he was assured would not be moved or disturbed…

Price: USD $160.00